Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 22:24:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      bjp aka rbw <rbw@nikita.rbwland.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3-S crashing with "ncr0: queue empty." after ~2 weeks

(this is a fairly long and informal problem report... if there is a more
appropriate place i should be sending this, i apologize and ask that you
tell me where i should sent it.)

i am running 3.3-STABLE (kernel built Tue Sep 28 15:59:23 MST 1999
... cvsup and 'make world' were run on the same day) on a AS200
4/233.

for the third time in as many weeks, this box has stopped being able to
access the hard drive... and when i get to the console to see what is up i
am greeted by the message "ncr0: queue empty." over and over ad
infinitum.  i can try to login, but it just hangs after asking for the
password.

any processes already running work just fine until they have to access the
hard drive.  i can ping the box just fine.  i can swtich between
screen(1) screens.  i can even continue to use irc.

the first time this happened, the box had been up for almost 2 weeks
(wasn't paying that close attention at that point).  the box hadn't been
under much strain since i am the only one using it and all i had been
doing was email and irc.

the next time, i decided to run Crack v5.0 to see if i had any weak
passwords on my system.  this seemed to be semi-disk I/O intensive.  it
crashed with the repeating "ncr0: queue empty." error after about 6 days.

the next time (today), i was connected from work via ssh and ircing
(okay... so i prolly shouldn't do that from work  =P).  i had been
watching my uptimes closely for a few days since i new i was coming up to
about two weeks uptime and wanted to see if it would repeat itself... so i
ran an 'uptime' about 15-20 minutes after first connecting from
work... and it just froze.  so i switched to another screen(1) screen and
ran a 'ps'... and it just froze.  so then i tried to lock screen(1) and
(of course) it froze.  ... the box had been up for 13 days.

one thing to note is that it doesn't seem to work to just reboot the
box... i have to actually power it down for a bit (i let it sit for about
a minute).  (this makes me think it is a hardware issue or a very
low-level ncr0 driver issue.)

now... i know that ncr0 is the scsi controller in this box, so i assume it
is either a dodgy mobo or controller or some funkyness in the FreeBSD ncr0
driver.  (unfortunately, i'm not technically saavy enough to delve into
the internals of the ncr0 driver to figure it out.)

basically, i have a few questions:

1) has anyone else with a similiar box run into this problem (with any
   OS)?

2) is this possibly limited to 3.3?  (i have thought about trying
   4.0-CURRENT, but would like to see this resolved in case anyone else is
   having this problem, too.)

3) is it likely dodgy hardware?

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

also, if you need any more information about my machine, i will be happy
to provide it... just ask.  =)

thanks for your time,
brian