Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 01:03:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        jasone@canonware.com, smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: FBSD license and multiple copyright holders

My hidden microphone recorded  (Dag-Erling Coidan Sm?rgrav)
(smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com) saying:

% Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com> writes:
% > As the standard FBSD license reads, it seems to me that anyone who
% > distributes a binary-only FreeBSD-based product is legally required to
% > print reams of copyright notices in the documentation.  That sucks for the
% > distributor and for the customers.
%
% It's there for a reason. I can't understand why UCB hasn't sued the
% pants off Microsoft yet... The monkeys in Redmond are shipping
% software under Berkeley license without including the proper magic
% incantations in their advertising material or documentation.
%
% Wouldn't it be a ball to see Microsoft print "This product includes
% software developed at the University of California, Berkeley" on the
% cover of every single Windows 98 or Windows NT CD?

You'll find exactly those kinds of copyright notices on the Intel
Internet Station, the little dial-up router I worked on last year.
You find them there, and on the "Legal Stuff" web page in the user
interface, only because I put them into the web page myself, and
raised such a stink about the lack of notices in the documentation
and got the legal department involved, over the strenuous objections
of the doc writer.  To their credit, the opinion from the legal
department was rendered in mere hours, and boiled down to "put the
copyright notices into the documentation or don't ship the product."

We researched copyright notices as diligently as possible in the
time we had, given that Wind River Systems had removed the original
copyright notices from much of the code, and credited UC Berkely,
CMU, and the ISC.

Why Microsoft cannot do the same is beyond me.  Somebody oughtta
take'em to court.  Maybe Scott McNealy would loan us the bucks,
on contingency?  ;^)