Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:14:22 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   get monitor EDID without using X?

For academic reasons, I was poking around with the idea of getting
information about my monitor (vendor, capabilites, etc.) and it
looks like the magic buzzords for doing do (with compliant hardware)
is via DDC (or is it EDID?) info.

Current versions of XFree86 can do it on my hardware; I wanted to
try to gather similar information without the overhead of an X
distribution.

I did find a Linux program:

  http://ape.n3.net/programs/linux/read-edid

Which I was able to build via the linux_developer toolset under
4.5-RELEASE.  But, the resulting executable yeilded the following
diagnostic:

  Oct 14 21:00:08 natto /kernel: linux: syscall vm86old is obsoleted
  or not implemented (pid=97407)

Is there a FreeBSD-sanctioned way of getting this data?  (Maybe via
the VESA kernel module?)

Would a newer version of FreeBSD's linux_developer toolset possibly
build a working executable?

Just fishing; I'm still doing research, and there seems to be several
avenues...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842