Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:09:48 -0800
From:      Max Campos <lists@bridgeportsoftware.com>
To:        Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@dyndns.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec USB2Xchange

> Feel free to take my work, erm, hacks, and do as you see fit with
> them, or make them work properly, or if you know more than I do,
> fix ezload.c to be a general-purpose loader handling both this
> adapter as well as the uyap for which it was written, and anything
> else that may need to use EZ-USB.

This was done eons ago in the form of a command-line utility; see the
misc/ezload port.  I have also made a few changes as well.  If you have
questions as to how it works / etc, let me know.

I personally prefer to do the firmware load & renumeration (the reboot
onto the loaded firmware) in userspace.  Just add an entry like this in
/etc/usb.conf:

device "Some Device"
         vendor  0xaaaa
         product 0xbbbb
         release 0xcccc
         attach "/usr/local/bin/ezdownload -v /dev/${DEVNAME}"

The device will attach as a ugen, then the firmware will be downloaded,
the device reset, and then it will reattach as whatever it renumerates
as.

Put the firmware file in /usr/local/share/usb/firmware.

- Max