Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:57:12 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (Jose M. Alcaide)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The trouble with boot0

Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> If this a geometry problem, I cannot understand why boot0 cannot
> boot from ad0s3 while there are no problems for booting from
> ad0s2, which is placed after ad0s3 and beyond the cylinder 1023.

Can you try the -current version of boot0?  You can pick up both
source and binary files at

    http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/download/boot0-latest.tar.gz

Be sure to specifically enable packet support when installing it:

    boot0cfg -Bv -b $PATH_TO_BINARY -o packet ad0

The problem may be that the 4.2 boot0 uses the CHS interface where
it can, and the packet interface otherwise.  The -current boot0
(and the old boot0) will always use one interface or the other,
though.  I think that could account for the problem you're having.

> I am more interested on an explanation for this problem than on
> finding the solution. I found this problem while doing a
> demo for the students of the installation procedure of FreeBSD,
> so that I would like to be able to explain clearly the reason of the
> boot failure to them.

Understood.  If the -current boot0 doesn't work, I'd suggest you
send along the following data and I'll think about it some more:

    dd if=/dev/ad0 bs=512              count=3  >foo0
    dd if=/dev/ad0 bs=512 skip=3997224 count=17 >foo1
    dd if=/dev/ad0 bs=512 skip=8415792 count=17 >foo2

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com
rnordier@FreeBSD.org