Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 04:20:59 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        "'Arcady Genkin'" <antipode@thpoon.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: imap and pop3 via stunnel (was: UW-IMAP server and secure authentication)

Sorry about that, I missed it when I first posted.

>> Here's a thought, a CA can set itself up, get a Verisign certificate,
>> then use it to bootstrap their own signatures into interested parties
>> web browsers, than those users can go to other sites that are running
>> certs signed by that CA.
>
>I think anyone who paid to get signed by someone who distributes their
>cert like that has been had.

Who said anything about charging anyone - I didn't!

>You are counting on users following bad
>security practices to get these guys' certs in place. Well, if morons
>are your target market, then that actually might be a good choice.

No, because what is a CA?  All a CA is, is some guy that says he's
authoratative.

If the user with a browser that already has a out-of-band-delivered
signature in it connects to a CA that is using a cert from that CA,
why then supposedly that channel is secure, and invulnerable to a
man-in-the-middle attack, right?  Once they have a secure channel,
then if they get a key, that key isn't accessible to a crack.

Now, I can hear your next argument already - how do multiple users
determine if that hypothetical CA is indeed the SAME CA and not an
imposter?  Well, all I have to say is how do YOU know that the certs
distributed with YOUR version of Netscape are indeed legitimate?
Are you going to argue that every single user that has Netscape has
a guarenteed channel to Netscape for their installation?

Just because the Netscape that is installed has a cert delivered
out-of-band, there's no guarentee that the out-of-band delivery method
is any more secure than anything else.  What about all of those
MSN, Earthlink, and AOL CD's that arrive in junk mail, all of those
have installable copies of Netscape and IE on them.  Are you going to
say that no possibility exists that the certs in them haven't been
tampered?  On the contrary, I'd say that Earthlink and AOL have a
vested interest in tampering with those certs - if only so they can
insert even more certs for their OWN SSL servers.

Or what about the interesting possibility of writing a virus that
as part of it's infection, overwrites any IE and Netscape certs it
finds on the system with it's own.  Combine that with a DNS attack
of a popular credit-card accepting site and the results might
prove most interesting.

I think you can see where I'm going with this line - the honest to god
truth is there's no fricken way to absolutely, positively guarentee
that the cert that you have in your browser or whatever is, indeed,
what it is supposed to be unless you get off your ass and drive
over to the CA and walk in their office and down the hall to the
guy who actually generates the signature file and he hands you
a floppy disk with the file on it.

>I count certs from 27 different signers in a freshly installed
>Netscape browser. There are over 80 certs total. These include the
>signers listed above plus other little joints like the USPS, AT&T,
>IBM, etc. Verisign is not the only game in town. And frankly, I don't
>really like the idea that my browser by default would trust all of
>these guys.

This ignores one of the fundamental requirements of good web design
and that is to not design to a specific browser or version of
browser and only Verisign is guarenteed to be available
on the older browsers.

>> Frankly, in my opinion it's a damn shame that Verisign has been
>> able to successfully propagandize most of the Internet into believing
>> that they are the Only Way Truth and Light to secure data
>transmission
>> on the Internet.  It's tremendously retarded the growth and use of
>> SSL on the Internet, in my opinion.
>
>I really am unaware of a basis for such a claim. Are there scores
>people who want to get a signed SSL cert and have been denied the
>privilege?

Of course nobody have been DENIED, you know perfectly well that
it's against the Constitution to deny people anything - nobody is denied
anything in this society, even if they want to kill themselves and others
with tobacco, or SUV's, or assult weapons, there's plenty of
lawyers that are going to ensure that they get the chance.

However, I can say that in my capacity as the guy that gets asked
the question at the ISP I work for, the single biggest reason that
people DON'T pursue SSL is because they perceive that a SSL cert
costs $100 or more.  Now, maybe to you that's not a lot of money (to me
it's not a lot either) but it seems to be to most of the folks publishing
websites on our servers that accept credit cards via forms and whatnot.
Now, maybe we don't have SCORES of people with websites, but we
have a far higher number of websites that take credit cards with
no SSL at all, then sites that take cards and have SSL.  (and,
please let's not go into how bad this is, I know and the site
owners have been told but they do it anyway.  They probably also
drive SUV's too.)

I squarely blame Verisign for this because they were the ones that
got into the market first and viewed it as some sort of golden money
machine for cranking out cash while they sat on their asses and
built a giant automated process that actually did the work.  Then
they built a giant marketing engine that spent most of it's time
justifying why they should be paid their $250 a year for a commercial
cert for sitting on their asses doing nothing.  Of course,
today the cat is out of the bag at least among SSL folks, and this
is why Verisign went down the tubes and Network Solutions was able
to buy them.

If Verisign had charged a REASONABLE amount for a commercial cert,
like $15 a year, then today just about ALL websites would automatically
come as SSL sites out-of-the-box and we wouldn't be having this
discussion.  They would probably have made a pile more money
too just in the volume, and would probably still exist as a stinking
rich, proud independent company with tentacles everywhere (like
Network Solutions is today) instead of ending up a one-trick pony that got
ate up (by Network Solutions).

Security companies and other institutions who do this have
>sprung out of the woodwork. The cool thing about selling a cert
>signing service is that it takes very little actual work. Like you
>point out, the real challenge and costs are in marketing and
>branding.

:-/  Yup - just want we need, more industries in this country that
produce a product that's worth practically nothing, and plow
most of their profits into marketing and sales people to justify
spending a shitpile of money on it.  I sure wish that we could
export bullshit, then maybe the trade balance wouldn't
be so out of wack.