Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:18:08 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network card stopped getting auto-detected at boot time

Hi-

I'm in the process of trying to revive my home modem-driving system.  I had an
old 386 box with a 200MB disk, a modem and an ethernet card (ep0, IRQ 10, IO
300h - an "EtherLink" 3c509 card) that I use to network to my "real PC" at
home.  At any rate, the motherboard died, so I scrounged up another one and
moved the disk/floppy controller, disk drive, serial cards, VGA video card
and ethernet to the new box & motherboard.  Now I get something along the
lines of

	ep0: not found at 0x300

(I'm at work & that system is at home, so this is from memory).  I found an
old /var/log/messages.1 file and it had a normal "we found it, it's using the
coax interface" sort of detection.  This is all with the exact same disk drive
running FreeBSD-2.1.5.  I'm trying to upgrade it to 2.2.2, but my only CDROM
drive is a SCSI drive accessible across the net from this IDE 386 box.

I'm about to start moving cards around in their slots to see if that makes a
difference, but thought I'd see if anyone had any flashes of insight into why
this might be happening.

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org