Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:02:47 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting rid of sysinstall - Was: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

--fOHHtNG4YXGJ0yqR

Terry Lambert(tlambert2@mindspring.com)@2001.07.09 13:29:23 +0000:
[...]

> There are too many steps.
>=20
> X11 is a distribution set, instead of a package.
>=20
> Etc. (I could go on forever).

=2E..then let's wrap up a concept of a interpreter language driven
installer. redhat does it in python since years, so could we...

some rough and spontaneuos ideas:
- stripped down python interpreter runs as init
- class framework for 'plugin modules' such as postinst config,...
- basic 'service' classes for abstraction of the ui, binary execution
  and fileio (for config files)
- every class has properties which can be preloaded (=3Dunattended install
  functionality from 'recorded' install session or manually generated
  setup)
- ability to run in 'expert' command line mode (ab)using interactive
  python, text ui, x gui/tk mode
- after installing the base dist, we could import batteries included
  python libs from the userland for configuration/upgrade management and
  so on, perhaps stuff configuration metadata into xml and re-write it
  to the appropriate (maybe new/different) format -- oops, i said the
  x-word :->
- instrumentation to do 'the right thing' _or_ to be very talkative by
  message/dialog emission properties, severity levels -- we would need
  some kind of policy for that because of the multiple user interfaces
- remote install dialog ui using ethernet as  transport (yay!) would be
  a nice idea
- making the base system consist of packages would raise the need for
  package db flagging of non-removable/mandatory pkgs
- xf86 must become a package, yes ;-) IMHO it's a pain in the ass to
  upgrade xf86 without side effects when it was installed as tarball
- with that step we also could package sendmail and bind out of the base
  system ;-) hint-hint
- package signature verification would also be a nice thing to have,
  especially with signature fetching over the net

so the scheme would boil down to something like this:

			[gui multiplexer]<--+-->[cli]
				^	    +-->[text ui]
[cdboot/loader]			|	    +-->[xf86 gui]
	|			| 	    +-->[remote ui]
	v			|	    +-->[unattended]
[kernel]->[python]->[rc-loader] |
                        |       |
                        v       v
		    [messaging/core]<------+-->[config writers]
			^		   +-->[exec subsystem]
			|		   |	    ^
			v		   |	    |
[sig verifier]<->[dist source handling]	   |	    v
				^	   | [fdisk/disklabel/...]
	    [cd mount]<---------+	   |
	    [hd mount]<---------+	   +-->[upgrade subsys]
           [nfs mount]<---------+	   +-->[package installer]
    [ftp/http fetcher]<---------+
		=09
<disclaimer>
this in no way perfect, just some idea -- feel free to flame me if i
missed the point, but don't rip out my intestines ;-)
</disclaimer>

/k

> -- Terry
>=20

--=20
> "The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom." --W. Blake
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--fOHHtNG4YXGJ0yqR

--fOHHtNG4YXGJ0yqR--