Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:31:00 +1000
From:      "Gary Harris" <gharris@wr.com.au>
To:        nbodis@baytechnologygroup.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Problem following Install OF FreeBSD

> I recently purchased the 4 disk CDROM set and the 1800 page manual.  After
> I installed "novice install" onto a second harddrive (IDE 6.1 GB) in my
> system I cannot get FreeBSD to boot.  I can alway change the boot sequence
> using "Setup" to get to WIN95 installed on a primary drive.

    I wouls suggest recreating the partition clean and reinstalling BSD. I had to do this numerous times before it
actually worked.

> the problem.  I have since used fdisk under windows and allocated a DOS
> partition on the second drive and then reinstalled but still no luck.  Also

   I presume you mean that you re-installed FreeBSD...

> WIN95 "Windows Explorer" shows the presence of the second drive but when I
> click on it a dialog box appears with the message:
> 	 "D:\ is not accessible.  A device attached to the system is not
> functioning"

   This is just Win95 telling you that it can't read the filesystem on that drive. It will do the same if you put a non-
MSDos disk in the floppy drive, as well. Given the above, it finds the UFS partition and rejects it. It won't affect the
operation of Windows, though.

  Keep at it.

        Cheers,

             Gary.