Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:39:23 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sitting inside, looking out...

[Reply-to set to -chat]

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 08:22:55PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <19990803164207.A46171@kilt.nothing-going-on.org>, Nik Clayton writes:
> >Just for completeness;
>
> Yeah, sorry for leaving you gang out , but I didn't want to make
> it too long, the important thing was to get the three main kinds
> down, doc committers are pretty much the same story as the other
> two "limited scope" types.

Oh, absolutely.  But you have to understand that the -doc committers are
a rough crowd, and if I don't speak up for them every so they often they
start saying rude things about my parentage.

What's worse is the translation teams -- they say rude things about my
parentage and I can't even understand what they're saying. . .

[ Hmm, there's a thought -- could someone who speaks Japanese, Spanish,
or one of the other languages we've got translated please check out the
different translations of the FAQ, and make sure it doesn't just consist
of "Nik's mother wears army boots" repeated again and again.  Thanks ]

> >At least, that's my take on it.
> >
> >> 	NOTE: If somebody can find a sponsor for it, I would really
> >> 	like to offer an "official FreeBSD Committer sweat-shirt"
> >> 	to each and every single committer.  Luxury cars, free
> >> 	vacations and suitcases filled with cash would also do.
> >
> >How about the FreeBSD Project coming up with the
> >artwork, and then 'licensing' it to each user group?
>
> For it to have significance for the committers, it should be done in
> such a manner that only the committers get their hands on them.

As Matt points out, this has room to backfire.  You can see the commit
log now;

  Modified files:
    CVSROOT              avail
  Log:

  John Smith is no longer a committer.  He's promised to burn his t-shirt
  in private, and never mention this again.

Given that (by and large) the committers are just a subset of a much larger
developer base, and that we have developers who, for their own reasons,
have declined to become committers, something that's limited to committers
is probably not so great.

But for patches that closed PRs, absolutely.

We could maybe have a generic design that's registered as a copyright (or
a trademark, or whatever) with the project, and the project can license
this design out to user groups, or individuals, as necessary, and for a
small fee.

So, if the UK user group wanted to put out 'official UK FreeBSD user group'
t-shirts then they can do so, for (say $20 licensing for the design, and
$1 per t-shirt).  And to pick another example at random, Matt could have
a "FreeBSD VM God" t-shirt (and richly deserved it is too).

But why stop at t-shirts?  FreeBSD boxer shorts?  Bra and panties?  Anoraks?

OK, maybe not the last one.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>