Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 17:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, pst@shockwave.com, bde@freefall.freebsd.org, CVS-commiters@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vnode_if.sh

> Rodney W. Grimes writes:
> Paul Traina writes:
>
> > Maybe it's time to ask the general question:
> >
> > 	Why do we care about non-ansi compilers?
>
> Jordan responds:
>
> > we should go to full c++ style prototypes and obey only those
> > sylististic conventions necessary to making things like `ctags' work.
> > That's about as far as I think it's necessary to go with "backwards
> > compatability" in source code.
>
> Rod's replies with:
> > Then you have not thought about the facts that the BSD source code
> > base is used in other OS's that do _not_ have a fully ansi compliant
> > compiler and are not going to be getting one any day soon.
>
> BSD source code is used, but making FreeBSD source code portable to
> legacy systems shouldn't be a goal IMHO.
>
> > I love the fact that I can take large hunks of BSD user land code and
> > haul them over to my discrepent old Domain/IX SR 9.1 system and compile
> > them up to make the system somewhat more palatable, and hell if I am
> > going to go port gcc to this thing :-(.
>
> My response to this is 'who cares'?  We are not in the business of
> supporting Domain/IX SR 9.1, and a significant percentage of our time is
> spent maintaining this ability with no gain to FreeBSD.  If a Domain/IX
> person wants to use BSD code, the 4.4lite and 4.4lite2 tapes are just as
> available to them as they are to us.  If we've made fixes to the code,
> then it's my opinion that they can do the same thing we've done with a
> lot of code and back-port the changes.
>
> There is plenty enough work to go around without making more work by
> supporting pre-ANSI/C compilers.

I will support this stance under one condition, that finally a _FREEBSD_
policy guide is written.  Until then I consider these things noise, and
it is one of the reasons I dropped away, as every one seems to want to
hack, but no one wants to set policy and direction properly in documents.

There is not a single written policy any place on anything that I can
find except ones either I have drafted and placed here and there which
are now either in the Attic or in the 1.1.5.1 repository, and ones that
Jordan has sent to the mailling lists.

Yea, I know, if I want this go do it, well, I am not interested in cramming
stuff down the throughts of folks here, so I am going to go off and hack
like every one else and forget about this noise.