Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:50:45 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        dan@freebsddiary.org
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure connection from DSL to DSL users

At 09:37 PM 2/1/00 +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I'm trying to find a fast, cheap, and secure way to connect together
>multiple locations which have DSL connections.  For starters, let's
>assume three offices.  I've been told about skip, but from what I can
>see, it requires X.  Which is strange.  Why put X on a gateway?
>
>Has anyone succeeded in implementing skip without using X?  If so,
>how?

Just install the libs, which should work (it does for other X dependant
ports).  I'd check then if skip is compiled static and can work without the
libs.  Then you don't even need the X-libs on the systems.

Anyone check if the package version works *or* are packages built on a
non-X system.  Don't recall if this was ever discussed.

>Any other suggestions for the suggested connection?

Most commonly suggested are IPSEC and pipsecd.  YMMV

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve
'86 Yamaha MaxiumX (not FBSD powered)