Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 96 04:53:00 GMT
From:      nethoppr@concentric.net (Duftopia)
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        nethoppr@cris.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@freebsd.org, ajohn@cyberforge.com
Subject:   Re: Sco support

On 9/3/96 1:55AM, in message <199609030555.AAA00314@dyson.iquest.net>, "John S. Dyson"
<toor@dyson.iquest.net> wrote:

> > > Actully, I do have another solution for you... If you are a student,
> > > educator, non commercial or a 'technical home user' SCO will licence its
> > > Openserver to you for free. In addition you will also get their development
> > > kit.  The cost is ~ $19 for the shipping and handling of the CD-ROM. Check
> > > out the SCO page given below for details.  I am told that they intend to
> > > make Unixware available for free under the same licence some time in
> > > September...
> > >
> > > http://www3.sco.com/Products/openind.htm
> > >
> > > Good luck..
> >
> > that's hard to bereave, but I will most definitely check it out.
> >
> I am having problems getting it to boot/install on my system.  Think that
> it has to do with the NCR scsi that I have.  It will be fun to benchmark
> it :-).
>
> John

Installing sco 5.0 openserv with a scsi ncr single speed I had a nervous
breakdown, it took 3 attempts each running about 6 hours maybe 8, its scos
wonderful attention to detail I think, I know we intended to upgrade all
our vr3.0v4.2's to 5.0 but the lead person in the project was told a sony
scsi would work and spent several days with what sco calls support to get
it working and failed.

So my suggestion is run the install for three nights in a row before you
go to sleep and odds are within a week you'll get it, and whatever you
do don;t forget your password, I did and had to remove it from my HD!