Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 16:44:09 -0400
From:      Derrell Lipman <derrell@vis-av.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: probe() other than at boot time

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
 > > Is there a way to force a probe while the system is running (i.e. at a
 > > time other than boot time)?
 >
 > scsi -f /dev/sd0 -r

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, it didn't work.

I assume that you meant /dev/rst0 since I was talking about the
streaming tape.  I get a "Device not configured" message, just like
when I try to tar or dd to it if the tape drive wasn't on when I
booted.  That's the problem that I'm trying to solve.

After thinking about /dev/sd0, I decided that it _shouldn't_ do any
harm to try the above command on that device.  Bad decision.  It
crashed the machine. :-(

Have you any other suggestions for me?

Wonderingly...

Derrell

-- Derrell Lipman	(derrell@vis-av.com)	Grumman Tiger, N28860

 - Civil Air Patrol:
   MAWG Group 1 HQ, Operations / Cadet Programs
   Cadet Programs Officer, Mountain Mission Pilot, Air Ops Director,
   Ground Team Leader, Ground Ops Director, Mission Coordinator Trainee,
   Communications Unit Director, Patriot 103