Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 22:03:12 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        compland@ism.com.br (Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EDO Ram

>   I would like to know if there is any probe that I can do to check
>with a FreeBSD machine is using EDO RAM or not.
>   Please e-mail direct to me cause I'm not in the hackers list.

You would have to probe the BIOS or the support chipset directly.
There are two problems with this.  1) The BIOS has no standard place
to store this information, although some BIOS' may store it in a
proprietary extended location.  And, 2) you would have to first
determine which support chipset you had, because they are all slightly
(or in some cases, vastly) different, and only some of them will give
you the information you're after (and possibly in different ways).

So, there is no _easy_ way to do this.

You could add code to the kernel startup, where it is probing other
hardware values, but it would be messy.  You might also be able to
write a driver to access this information from the support chipset,
but that too would be awkward.

Why not just check your BIOS messages at boot time?  I would think any
decent motherboard would be able to tell you whether it's using EDO
RAM or not (my ASUS does).  If it doesn't say anything, chances are
that 1) it doesn't have EDO RAM installed, or 2) it wouldn't know what
EDO was even if you had it.  (Remember, a motherboard has to have
explicite support for EDO for it to work any different from normal
memory.)

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.