Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 2016 17:49:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: [installworld] Do We need /usr/obj

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> One of the servers I maintain has a very small footprint (it's a VPS).
> It is set up to do a full buildworld/buildkernel every night.  That way,
> when its time to upgrade for, say, security reasons, there is no build delay
> (which takes nearly 5 hours on this virtual machine).

Yes, you can delete /usr/bin after installworld. The problem is that you
will need approximately the same space if and when you rebuild the system.
So if you are rebuilding periodically (such as nightly), you cannot gain any
space this way.

If you have space in /tmp or /var you could link /usr/bin to some of that
space.

You could also mount removable storage at /usr/bin for the build, but this
is not going to work with an automated chron job or without physical access
to the machine to attach the moveable storage.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html