Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:01:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: granularity of gettimeofday()

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <Pine.SOL.4.21.0011031156050.29568-100000@jade>, Zhiui Zhang writes:
> >
> >The manual says the granularity of gettimeofday() is hardware dependent.
> >The time may be updated continuously or in clock ticks.  Can anyone
> >explain for me the two different ways of updating the time?  What kind of
> >hardware can help?
>
> You probably need to tell me what you need first...

This is actually a question from the book "Kernel Project for Linux" and I
am a TA for an operating system course that uses this textbook. I know a
little bit of NTP and Intel Time stamp counter. I need an authoritive
answer for this question because I do not have the time to go through the
FreeBSD code to find out myself in a short time. My impression is that if
the time is updated by an interrupt handler per tick, it can not get a
microsecond granularity.

-Zhihui