Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:29:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      nsayer@quack.kfu.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Discussion invited: Netpliance i-opener X terminal transmogrification

For those who haven't heard, the netpliance (http://www.netpliance.com/)
is close enough to a PC that it can boot and run the traditional i386
OSes for the most part. People are trading hints on how to add hard disks
to them.

I have a different idea. The thing has 16M of flash. This looks like a job
for..... (drum roll) PicoBSD!!!!!

Seriously, what I have in mind is turning the thing into an X terminal.
IMHO the humble X terminal is not given the respect it deserves. :-)
In our youth we hated them because they were a pain in the ass to set up,
usually needing to net-boot and stuff. But with everything required
in flash, it becomes a whole lot faster to boot, and the thing even
becomes portable (with suitable DHCP support).

Has anyone tried sort of 'embedded X' before? What's the minimum
requirement for running XF86_SVGA? Just looking at the shared
libraries and the executable, they look like they take about 4M
or so. Even adding the kernel and a bunch of supporting stuff it
doesn't look like running up against the 16M flash limit will be
too likely. There probably is even room for a few MB of fonts.

One question that jumps to mind is how to get the name of the font
server over DHCP. The server can send the name with 'option font-servers',
and even an xdm address with 'option x-display-manager', but how
do you get those out? Are they part of the dhclient-script environemnt
or something?