Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 21:00:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
Cc:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problems

> alissa bader wrote:
> > Basically, I can get it to go through the install, but I sometimes get
> > kind of wonky things when I try to install a package.  I get a a "fatal
> > trap 12:  page fault in kernel mode."  Then the machine reboots.
> >
> > I have been tearing my hair out over this for the past 2 days.  I've tried

The suggestion it might be faulty memory was a good one--been there done
that, it can hose your entire system.

The suggestion to take it to "questions" was not--unless you do some
preparation first. Installing a package? From CD Rom, dos distribution
or downloading/compile from ports?

Define _everything_ or these guys will cream you. Not because they are
bad guys, but because they are tired of attempting to answer incomplete
questions. As yours stands it would stink to high heaven on questions.

Not to say I learned this lesson when I should have. I got adopted
by a Mentor--God knows why.

Duke