Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 17:13:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: License to kill annoying syslog feature?

Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de> wrote:

>I am very happy with the IRIX 5.3 syslog. It supports the syntax
>
>*.debug;kern.none;user.none     |/var/syslog/log-filter         /var/syslog/all
>
>which pipes all messages through /var/syslog/log-filter and this script
>decides what to do with them. So I get my squid, socks, slip, etc. logs
>all in different files and can for example ignore some messages with
>the same level and priority depending on the process that sends them.

Shouldn't we add better log filtering to syslogd instead?  Its function
should be to accept messages, discard unnecessary ones, and log the required
ones to the appropriate log files.  If it is not up to this task, and we
add a shell filter escape, isn't that the same thing as saying that syslogd
is bogus and useless?

Add some new syntax supporting arbitrary regular expressions.  That should
be enough for everyone.

Stephen.