Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:02:37 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repeated Xorg crashes with intel driver

--=-ngKK0XhO1PRy6ab6EpVE

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 12:11 +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
> Hi all.
>=20
> I'm getting repeated crashes in Xorg. It works fine (well, no crashes.)
> for a long period before dieing (15 days, then 1 day). The annoying
> thing is that after the crashes, it appears the hardware is left in an
> unusable state, and I have to reboot to bring X back.
>=20
> I've uploaded pertinent config files and log files to a server, as I've
> never had much luck getting them through the mailing list :)=20
>=20
> http://87.194.39.182/fbsd/xorg_crashes/
>=20
> I'm not running quite the latest versions of the driver, as it gave me
> significant performance degradation as an (enforced) non DRI user.=20
>=20
> > $ egrep drm\|xorg-server\|intel /root/xorg_crashes/pkg_info.txt=20
> libdrm-2.3.0        Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering
> Module servi
> xf86-video-intel-2.2.1 Driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets
> xorg-server-1.4.2,1 X.Org X server and related programs
>=20
> So, the first thing I will do is update to the latest versions, and see
> if crashes are still reproduced. I may also try Robert Noland's proposed
> DRM changes for RELENG_7.=20
>=20
> Any other ideas?
>=20
> Cheers
>=20
> Tom

Following up my own email, these infuriating, unpredictable crashes
still happen. I can't reproduce them on demand, either. Sometimes it is
hours between crashes, sometimes days.

I have updated the driver and libdrm to the latest versions:
libdrm-2.3.1        Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering
Module servi
xf86-video-intel-2.4.2 Driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets

This is with RELENG_7 from 15/9/08.=20

I'm rebuilding now with the latest RELENG_7, with Robert Noland's DRM
patch from
http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm-update-7-100308.patch.bz2 .

If this doesn't work, I will be reverting to 7.0 release, which worked
perfectly. I cannot have this machine crashing out of X whenever it
feels a little shaky.

Cheers

Tom

--=-ngKK0XhO1PRy6ab6EpVE