Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 00:33:34 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   `higer level' packet filter rules language/editor to ease maintainance?

Hi!

 Is there such a thing as in the subject?  Something that lets me,
say, put rules in groups, easily move around or clone groups, apply
global changes to groups like search/replace addresses/netmasks?
sure i can hack something up with a bit of perl/whatever for my
specific problem, but maybe there is something more general out
there...

 I currently need something for ipfw but even if what you use only
knows ipfilter (or something else?) i'd like to hear about it,
i may happen to like it so much that i'd just add ipfw
support... :) (as long as source is available, obviously.)

 I have seen `flc' that was linked on (i think) the ipfilter homepage
but decided to ask here first as it seems no longer maintained and
would need to be updated (its from 1995!) to at least add all the
ipfw features that are new since then.  The idea to be able to
generate rules for several different packet filters from the same
input file certainly looked interesting tho and it would seem a
bit strange to assume that really noone uses it anymore...
(or is there a successor maybe?)

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>