Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:16:00 +0200
From:      Mihai =?utf-8?q?Don=C8=9Bu?= <mihai.dontu@gmail.com>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: google browser?

(e-mails from the past always find me unprepared)

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 11:52:58 Devin Teske wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:39 AM, Mihai Don=C8=9Bu wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 February 2011 09:09:44 Gary Kline wrote:
> >> Anybody know how to use this "Chrome"?  I don't see any places to
> >> plug in players ... like vlc, etc.  Can't find and back/Forward
> >> icons, nothing like firefox....    I give it all three thumbs
> >> down.....
> >>=20
> >> Would still like to see GOOG have its own "twitter" and "facebook"
> >> tho.....
> >>=20
> >> Anybody else have the browser on FBSD??
> >=20
> > I haven't tried it, but maybe it works under the FreeBSD Linux emulatio=
n.
> > I found some build hints here too: http://wiki.freebsd.org/Chromium ,
> > however it definitely needs some love from a dedicated FreeBSD
> > developer.
> >=20
> > I use Google Chrome (or Chromium - depends on how bleeding edge I want =
> > be) on Linux. I'm amazed by the speed with which the project progresses
> > and the incredible feel of the browser itself.
>=20
> I've heard certain noises on this list that the current port-maintainer of
> Chromium has dropped the ball (not my words, just paraphrasing the
> sentiment from the below thread).
>=20
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D890197+893402+/usr/local/ww=
w/db
> /text/2010/freebsd-questions/20101231.freebsd-questions
>=20
> The OP's concerns about security vulnerabilities (though voiced over 30
> days ago) still appear to be of concern (that is to say, nothing appears
> to have changed except some _minor_ work on January 18th this year by
> rene).
>=20
> However, Freshports still has a less-than-favorable status for this port:
> http://www.freshports.org/www/chromium/
>=20
> Now... that being said, I have a co-worker that is running Chromium every
> day on FreeBSD-8.1 and he's very happy with it. Though, given the above
> consideration, both him and I have decided to _not_ deploy this browser in
> production (at least until we can get some love on those vulnerabilities).
>=20
> So, I guess I'd like to throw the query out there...
>=20
> If you had to pick between Firefox and Chrome for distribution to >1000
> FreeBSD systems running 8.1 in production... which would you choose? We're
> heavily leaning toward Firefox, but would love to hear other's opinions of
> Chrome (if it requires Linux emulation, that may be a death-knell, leaving
> Firefox the only real choice???).

I've been an avid Firefox user until ~1 month ago. I just couldn't put up w=
ith=20
the sluggishness anymore. Tried to use Firefox 4 beta. No dice. The JS engi=
ne=20
_is_ faster but that didn't solve the problem. The UI is just not OK. I use=
d=20
to think it was because of the multi-threaded design, until Opera rolled ou=
t=20
version 10 which is just as snappy as Google Chrome. The only downside with=
=20
Opera is that it's just too strict wrt standards. FF and Chrome use all kin=
ds=20
of quirks to make old websites render reasonably well. Still, given the=20
current situation on FreeBSD, I'd go with Opera. I love Mozilla and its pus=
h=20
towards a free/open web, but with version 4 they seem to have lost focus on=
=20
what it matters for the majority of the people. Sure, fast web page renderi=
ng=20
is important, but I for one wouldn't mind a slow[ish] render if I was able =
to=20
quickly open another tab (page) to bash.org (just an example) while I wait =
for=20
the other one to load.

Note that I use FreeBSD only on my servers. I use Linux for desktop, so tak=
e=20
my suggestion with a grain of salt. :-)

=2D-=20
Mihai Don=C8=9Bu