Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:59:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Wills, Ken" <kwills@gflesch.com>
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.61 (Linux) broken since adding linux_base-5.2

> On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 10:36:21PM +0200, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > Mark Ovens wrote:

> > > No.
> >
> > You need to be more verbose. Did you rm -rf /compat/linux before
> > installing linux_base-5.2? What is your FreeBSD version? etc etc etc
> >

> Arrgh! I've just had a bad thought. Did I really need to install
> linux_base at all? My system was originally built clean (i.e. not
> Did I need to install linux_base to make Star Office work? I only
> installed it because I was following the instructions at
> http://www.serv.net/~mcglk/staroffice-install.html that someone
> posted.
>
> Is linux_base only meant for systems which don't already have Linux
> support installed and therefore I've just trashed a perfectly good
> working system? After, Star Office is just another Linux program.

No, I installed linux_base on a 3.3-RELEASE system which was upgraded from
2.2.8.  I needed to put directory names into /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf
and run /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig (which appears to simply update the
file /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.cache) when installing StarOffice.  Packages
such as StarOffice now seem to come with their own lib directories in
their own tree.  Maybe the vanilla Linux install puts the directories into
the ld.so.conf file and runs ldconfig?  Anyway, I did this for StarOffice.
Is is it possible that the version of Netscape that you are using has the
same scheme - that is, its own lib directory which must be installed in
this way?

Rob Hurle
	Rob Hurle			     rob@coombs.anu.edu.au
	Connect-A			      Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
	PO Box 13			      Fax: +61 2 6248 8905
	Ainslie  ACT  2602		      Mobile: 0417 293 603
	Australia