Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:08:57 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Hartong <hartong@erols.com>, Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD ROM Installation Failure on BSD 2.2.6 (fwd)

I would like to add to this post...

I have a Dell Dimension P100 with an NEC 273 CD-ROM Drive. My AMIBIOS
does
not support booting from CD-ROM so I made a boot floppy. I have tried
to install both 2.2.5R and 2.2.6R (from CD-ROM distributions).

I get the same CD-ROM error, and the installation hangs with a blue
screen
showing "Probing Devices", just before I would expect to see the first
sysinstall menu.

I pulled all the ancillary hardware, so only the motherboard was left,
but no change.

I did note a posting on Hackers (I think) a few weeks ago which
suggested
that there may be a known problem with some NEC drives.

Richard.

Hartong wrote:

> Hi Doug....
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> To add fuel to the fire. :-)   I did a DOS partition installation, so have
> FreeBSD up and running.  I had to comment out the second IDE controller to
> bypass the CD-ROM.  The installation went like clockwork after that.  Kudo's
> are due to the installation team programmers.  It is equally good, if not
> better, than the RedHat and Slackware installation programs.  I have a
> minimal DOS 6.0 installation in wds01a (128M) and a complete FreeBSD
> installation in wds02a (908M).
>
> Once installed, I created a custom kernel, this time including the second
> IDE controller, and including the ATAPI source code directives.  Everything
> compiled perfectly and I installed as the primary boot kernel.  Now for the
> "It's Unix magic..."  When booting I get the same "ATAPI1.O: INVALID COMMAND
> PHASE,  IREASON=0xd8, STATUS=d8<BUSY,READY,OPDONE,IRQ>,  ERROR=d8<mchg>"
> error message BUT the boot process continues with no hang-up.  I can mount
> and dismount the CD-ROM to my hearts content any Walnut Creek 9660 format
> disk I've been able to throw at it.
>
>  >
> >Sure; the driver is saying "the drive is not in the phase I expected it
> >to be in".  Sort of "what the hell does it think it's doing?"
> >
> >More interestingly, note that the 'ireason', 'status' and 'error'
> >values are *all* 0xd8.  This implies that there's a really basic
> >problem talking to the drive.
> >
> >My suspicions would tend to suggest timing problems of some sort;
> >either we are not giving the drive enough time to behave, or perhaps
> >the user is overclocking and their IDE controller isn't playing the
> >game.  Seeing the full set of wd* probe messages would be useful,
> >especially if there are other devices involved.  Also, knowing the set
> >of actions leading to the fault would help.
>
> The wd* probe messages I get are a successful probe on wd0, returning the
> drive type (takes a while 5-15 seconds), followed by a probe on wd1.  The
> probe returns the drive type (correctly NEC 273) followed by the APAPI1.0
> error code.
>
> Nothing else appears different between an installation boot directly from
> the CD-ROM and from the custom kernel I've built.  (except when booting from
> the installation CD the system hangs in the "Probing devices.. please wait"
> screen and doesn't want to come out of it. )
>
> As you requested, here is the step by step actions which lead to the hang on
> installation.
>
> 1.  Select BIOS to boot from CD first.
> 2.  Insert CD (Walnut Creek Disk 1) into Drive
> 3.  Boot system
> 4.  System boots using floppy image kernel from Disk (jkh kernel)
> 5.  Customization Screen comes up- select novice option
> 6.  Under storage-Remove all controllers except floppy and IDE 1 and IDE 2
> 7.  Under Network- Remove all Ethernet cards except NE2000- adjust NE2000 to
> correct base address for system
> [...]

Richard Smith
Assistant Chief Engineer
TRL Technology Limited