Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 04:07:42 -0400
From:      "Jerry Murdock" <jmurdock@itraktech.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security Issues And Iso Images

> I am very curious as to why iso's can not at least be created for the 4.3-
> stable branch to address security issues pakages are not much of an issue
> but really recompile your kernel now I think that abit much for newbies?

A release is not much more than a snapshot of -stable.  You want them to do it
more often?

IMO, it would be a waste of their time.  Compiling a kernel is running three
simple command lines. Anyone running FreeBSD should get familiar with it -
ESPECIALLY anyone concerned with security issues.  If you want IPF, IPSEC,
IPFW, Bridging, etc, you are looking at a kernel build anyway.

> since 4.3 release There are now a few hours of updates to secure it IMHO
> thats a little to much we are starting to look like wintendos here?

I don't get this.  It should involve nothing more than a cvsup of -stable and
a make.  I am a FreeBSD newbie, so please correct me if I'm wrong.   The only
time this would take hours is over dial-up on a first-time download of the
entire tree.

In any event, it would certainly be faster than downloading and burning the
entire 650MB iso image.

I did my first FreeBSD install via FTP only a month or so ago. It was so
painless, the only reason I will ever get the CD image is if it happens to
come with a book.

Like I said, I'm a FreeBSD newbie.  If I'm in left field, let me know.

Jerry