Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 02:33:28 -0600
From:      "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
To:        "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/exports: 192.168.5 = 192.168.0.5

From a pure logic point of view here's something that might help you
understand it

the 4 octets are broken down into binary and then combined without the
decimal point.

when whatever libraries are doing this, the first octec(192) is converted to
binary.  Then there is probably some sort of if statement that says if there
is only one more octet to process make it the last octet.  The reason for
this is so you can enter in ip addresses like 3232236800 which is another
way of looking at 192.168.5.0, if it wasn't processed like this, it might
try to ping 3232236800.0.0.0

If I've caused any more confusion than help, let me know and I can email you
in private and help better explain.