Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:08:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      "K.J.Koster" <kjk1@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Retry: problems moving root (long rant)

> [snip]
> > Sorry to make this such a long story, I hope you found it entertaining. I
> > am left with a limping system, so I hope that you could point me at a
> > manual page I missed, or a feature of fdisk or disklabel that I missed.
>
> I'm no real guru, but if I understand you correctly:
>
>     1. you've transferred /usr onto sd2 ok
>     2. you're attempting to move stuff from sd0 to sd1
>
> Why not:
>
>     1. boot up from sd0 (I'm assuming FreeBSD is still there)
>     2. mount sd2 (which has the copied /usr filesystem)
>     3. backup required stuff on sd0 to sd2
>     4. reboot to install from floppy
>     5. install the full system on sd1 and/or sd2 (without removing the
>        existing fileysystem on sd2)
>     6. boot off sd1
>     7. restore the rest of the system from the backup on sd2
>
> This way no real hackery is required.

That is what I tried, but sysinstall gives me the dreaded `device not
configured' error. I managed to get the filesystems up and running on sd1,
the only problem is that I cannot boot from sd1. The root is there and I
can mount /var from it and swap on it, but the bootmanager does not allow
me to boot without hanging the system.

> [One major assumption made here is that sd0 has SCSI 0 and sd1 has
>  SCSI 1, and that your SCSI card has allocated BIOS space for auto
>  mapping to D:]

Ehhrm. Come again? I mean, could you elaborate on that?

In my system, sd0 is SCSI id 0 etc. I tried moving sd1 (SCSI id 1) to sd0
(SCSI id 0), but I get the same problem: bootmanager-->crash and burn

    Groetjes,
      Kees Jan

  Kees Jan Koster   tel: UK-1227-453157  e-mail: kjk1@ukc.ac.uk
  15 St. Michaels Road,    Canterbury,   Kent,   United Kingdom
         What do you mean `compromise'. Am I wrong then?