Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:41:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Pagaime?= <jpsp@fccn.pt>, <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mylex 170 - boot takes several minutes

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, [iso-8859-1] Joćo Pagaime wrote:
>
> > The OS is a
> >
> >     FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
>

>   The mly driver in 4.3-RC is much better.  It might fix this problem.
> Besides that, It is definitely much faster.

It doesn't fix that particular problem, at least not for me.  The
controller/driver was also causing a system panic for me shortly
before root was mounted.  I had some earlier kernels where everything
worked just fine except for the long delay, and then a few days ago I
attempted to update to the latest 4.3-RC and it still paniced on me.
After attempting to go back to the known-working kernel I had copied
off, it still caused panics.  Weird.  Maybe there is something stored
in the controller configuration that is tickling the panic.  Luckily I
was doing RAID1 as well, so I crossed my fingers and attached the
drives to the plain onboard Adaptec controller and they worked (just
no RAID1 anymore).

I'd get a coredump for Mike Smith, but it doesn't want to dump the
core onto the RAID array at that point.  Some day I'll stick another
drive in there just for that purpose on the on-board controller.  Its
a production system and I have to stick around really late to take it
down, thats the only reason it hasn't been done already.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org