Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:19:43 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1016864384.63fa08@mired.org>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is it safe to use the 5.0-current boot / mbr on stable?

In <200203180515.g2I5FLC11877@durian.apnic.net>, George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> typed:
> is it safe to use the 5 boot loader with 4.5 kernels?

If you're talking about /boot/loader, probably not. If you're talking
about boot0, probably so.

> (I'm guessing that without new bootblocks, I can't play, although
>  you would think a farm of hard links could make the boot/kernel stuff
>  appear in the root & /modules/ paths)

You're going to need a multi-OS boot system no matter what. Boot0
won't work very well here, as both will be labelled "FreeBSD", or
something similar. Personally, I use grub, and it boots both 5-current
and 4-STABLE just fine.

	<mike