Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:07:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jamie Heckford <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling a New Kernel

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:44:57AM +0100, Jamie Heckford wrote:

> Being one of these difficult people who like sticking to the old way
> of doing things, im still compiling my kernel the old way (config
> KERNELNAME; cd ../../KERNELNAME; make depend; make ; make install)
> :P

> I picked up a rumour on the mailing lists that this may no longer
> work in future/recent releases?

Nowadays, the "old" way is only guarranteed to work if you've
previously built and installed world, kernel with that same set of
sources.  The new way, 'make buildkernel' doesn't have that
restriction, as it uses the compiler toolchain and so forth freshly
created in the build area.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way