Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:18:58 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        peter@black.purplecat.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running two instances of bind

> I'm attempting to get two instances of bind running on the same machine.
>
> When I start the second instance, i get this error:
>
> named[15794]: ctl_server: bind: /var/run/ndc: Address already in use
>
> However it each instance of named can be found with a ps wax|grep named,
> and it appears that each can answer queries.
>
> I've got separate configurations in separate directories.  The named.conf
> files specify separate ip addresses for the two instances to listen on.

Only specifying separate listen addresses may not be enough. You want
something like this:

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb/server1";
        query-source address a.b.c.d port 4096;
        transfer-source a.b.c.d;
        listen-on { a.b.c.d; };
        pid-file "/var/run/named-server1.pid";
};

controls { unix "/var/run/ndc-server1" perm 0660 owner 0 group 53; };

and

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb/server2";
        query-source address e.f.g.h port 4097;
        transfer-source e.f.g.h;
        listen-on { e.f.g.h; };
        pid-file "/var/run/named-server2.pid";
};

controls { unix "/var/run/ndc-server2" perm 0660 owner 0 group 53; };

(Slightly obscured from a working server with several named processes.)