Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:11:01 +0100
From:      Yves Vogl <yves.vogl@deetune.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to install FreeBSD remotely from Debian Linux Environment?

Hi,

I tried to install FreeBSD from an existing Debian 4.0 Linux =20
installation with "Depenguinator 1.1".
Depenguinator failed due to a wide range of incompatibilities caused =20
by gcc-4.0 and the beta code used in Depenguinator.
Next I built an image under my local Mac OS X 10.5 with QEMU - but the =20=

next step would have been to copy the image via dd to harddisk of the =20=

remote server.
The problem is that Linux doesn't support ufs and the additional ufs-=20
tools either won't compile because of gcc-4.0, current Linux kernel =20
etc. .
I don't have the possibility to use KVM-over-Ethernet - but I can ask =20=

a technician to boot from a CD-ROM. The problem here is that the =20
neither the bootonly.iso or one of the others automatically start SSH =20=

and connect via DHCP=85 don't they?

So... is there another way to start a remote installation?

Best Regards,
Yves=