Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 23:35:18 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "David Shanes" <dshanes@personalogic.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing 3.1-R via PPP

> Greg.
>     I am directing this at you as I was using your book to help me install.
>
>     As I said in my e-mail on Saturday. Installing 3.1-R does not seem to
> recognize my NIC (3COM 3C574-TX Fast Elink PC Card), so I tried to install
> via PPP. I got to the section that says PPP started on vtty3, switch and
> connect to your ISP, yada yada yada, switch back and hit return.... you will
> probably only need to use the term command... yada yada yada...
>     I switched, typed term, and then felt stupid... What am I supposed to
> do? Am I supposed to use AT commands to talk with my modem? Typing "at" got
> me nowhere....
>     The book does not say what to do here (2nd edition), the installing PPP
> section does not help since I cannot create a config file (yet)... What
> networking options do I enter the the box for my IP when it is dynamically
> assigned?

If AT returns nothing, try ATE1.  If that doesn't say OK, your serial
port probably wasn't probed.  Go back to ttyv1 and press Scroll Lock
and PGUP a few times - you should be able to review the probe messages.
If this is the case, you should also see ppp attempting to open it (and
moaning that it can't).

Essentially, the commands you type at the ppp prompt are the same as
the commands specified in Gregs book - you shouldn't need to do much
more than ``set authname blah'' and ``set authkey blah'' assuming
your ISP wants PAP or CHAP though.

You can get a summary with ``?'' and you can get back out of term
mode with ``~.'' as the prompt should say when you enter term mode.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;