Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 1996 16:46:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Administrator <root@hobart.tased.edu.au>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IP over parrallel port

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Doug White wrote:

> 3)  For media, select 'ftp' (????) and select 'lp0' as the network
> device.  You'll have to have the install info set up in an ftp server (or
> other network access) on the server machine.

So to install by parrallel the distribution must be on the machine your
connecting to? I cant hook the other machine up and tell it to install
from ftp4.au.freebsd.org?

It occurs to me that using lpt0 wouldnt be any different to adding say ed1
and I can do all the same things using ifconfig? If this is the case then
I can probably work it out from the man pages. If this is the case then I
can answer the above question myself :-)

> Sorry for the assumptions but I think this is fairly accurate.
> Instructions may be in the Handbook or in sysinstall's help system.

The only help I could find in either of these places was talkin about PPP
over serial lines and then said if you can you might like to install over
parallel because you can get ~50K/s. That was all it said about parrallel.

If there is help somewhere and I missed it pointeers would be gratefully
received.
I might try and keep a log of how I did it if I get it working and put it
on the web somewhere in case other people try this...perhaps they do but
its not really as hard as it looks.

Andrew