Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:55:08 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?RGFnLUVybGluZyBTbcO4cmdyYXY=?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Jason Evans <jasone@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sbrk(2) broken

> "Sidegrading" is supposed to work now in HEAD; with a little hacking,
> you can build an amd64 world and kernel on the i386 world, install the
> kernel, reboot, and install world.  AFAIK, the required hacking involves
> copying /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 to /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 ...

I wonder when we'll have to standardize /libexec/<arch>/ to support
multiple architectures for things like ld-elf.so.1.  It used to only
be a concern for those rare people running diskless over multiple
architectures, but the case of i386 binaries on amd64 is a little
more common.

On the other hand, if ld-elf.so.1 is fairly unique in this
concern, it might be simpler to rename it to:
    ld-elf-{i386,amd64,ppc,...}.so.1

Tim Kientzle