Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:42:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ELM

 >> I installed ELM yesterday and when I tried to run it, it says "attempt to
 >> lock mail..." then after 6 attempts it exited out with an error.
 >>
 >> I bet someone had the same experience and knew the fix.  Help!!!

Yep.  Here's what I'm using (from config.h):

/*#define       USE_FLOCK_LOCKING*/             /**/

#define USE_DOTLOCK_LOCKING             /**/

#define USE_FCNTL_LOCKING       /**/

#define         LOCK_DIR        "/var/spool/uucp"       /**/

then, pick a group that all your mail users will be in (e.g. staff) and
then (as root):

cd /var
chgrp staff mail
chmod 2777 mail