Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:31:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: previewer

According to Greg Lehey:

	[[ ... ]]

> Yes, I understood that.  But I was assuming you weren't cutting them
> out and gluing them on to the paper.  You didn't (and still don't say)
> what tools you were using.

	Very simple  tools: vi and enscript--

	% vi addr (to  create the addresses: addressee and return)
	% enscript -B -r  -fTimes-Bold24 addr  (to my DeskJet)

> > 	[[ ... ]]

> OK, but I still don't understand what you're using.  a2ps takes ASCII
> input, which doesn't have various font sizes.

	Both enscript and a2ps take ASCII and a typeface spec.  I used
	xlsfonts to find the largest times-bold font, a 24point.

> > 		This afternoon, Julian Elischer pointed out
> > 		that ghostscript was the solution, but after
> > 		some testing I realized that ghostview might
> > 		be the better viewer.  ghostview allows -landscape
> > 		views.
>
> Ghostview is definitely preferable, though it's really a front end to
> ghostscript.

	So I understand.

> > 		'Nuff??
>
> Not really.  I still don't understand what you're doing.  ghostview is
> a (pre)viewer, so you don't need any more.  Or are you saying you want
> to create a view at a certain point in a script?

	Essentially.  Having read the man pages on enscript,
	ghostscript, and ghostview,  I understand what steps
	are necessary on the cmd line:

	1. vi file
	2. enscript [options] file
	3. gv [options] file

	I would have had to iterate as many times as I printed out
	my test sheets and it probably wouldn't have been any faster.
	But it would have saved some ink and paper.

	Another use for any printer-previewer would be to understand
	exactly how envelopes would look.   Or anything intended for
	faxing before  transmitting.

> Sorry, I'm trying to help, but I still don't understand what you're
> trying to do.

	Thanks for your time.  I hope I've made things clearer.
	With as many tools as we've got, most or all of this
	print-previewing is probably do-able with ghostview.  It's
	just not that evident.

	gary