Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:08:41 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        greg@snickers.org
Cc:        "freebsd" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SYN Hardening patches? / SYN Code in 3.4-RC

>clusters - adjust NMBCLUSTERS or increase maxusers!'. I had maxusers at 256
>at that point, and had 'options NMBCLUSTERS=2048' in the kernel as well --
>it still failed.
>	I'm hoping that increasing maxusers to 512, and bumping NMBCLUSTERS to 4096
>is going to provide some help, but somehow I doubt it. (1MB/s of SYN packets
>coming in does not fare well, and the unplanned boots are wreaking havok on
>my filesystems).

   Leave maxusers at 256 and increase NMBCLUSTERS even more. Depending on
how much physical memory the machine has you could increase it to 10X what
you have now, but keep in mind that each one consumes 2KB of RAM, so you
could end up using a lot of memory for buffers after the attack occurs.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.