Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 15:53:14 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE Reconfig or Reinstall?

On 5/21/00, 2:19:02 PM, "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com> wrote=20
regarding KDE Reconfig or Reinstall?:

> Hi,

> I installed KDE during the FBSD install.  Since Xfree86 failed twice, =

> used Xconfig and was able to finish.  The challenge now is that KDE
> comes up in low 640 x 480 resolution and Ctrl-Alt-+ does not change=20
the
> resolution.  Is there a way to increase the resolution and color=20
depth?
> If not, should I reconfigure KDE (and if so, how) or would it be=20
better
> to uninstall/reinstall KDE (and if so, how).

> Mark

Dear Mark Hummel,

I had a similar problem, ie screen resolution far from being=20
satisfactory in Xfree86-3.3.x=20

The short answer is "yes, you can set what ever resolution your=20
monitor is able to support". Drawback: you have to hack modelines if=20
you want to get that optimum performance. At least, if your monitor's=20
data are NOT contained in some database or other. Instead, if your=20
monitor IS found in some database, you will just copy the modelines=20
into /etc/XF86Config.

BTW, my screen "rendering" is just splendid at (!!) 1152x870@83Hz=20
(personally hacked modelines) on my 17" monitor -- a practically=20
**unknown** make and model.
 =20
There is material on this topic out there, both on the Net and of ...=20
hardcopy nature. As to the latter, AFAIR, Grog's excellent guide (The=20
Complete FreeBSD) includes some stuff about this "magic"; as to the=20
former, there is some  tutorial(s) around (for Linux ? Howto ?=20
Mini-howto ?), I can't recall right now **sigh** <ad driver: memory=20
vacuum: unable to retrieve information: resetting device>

Good luck,
Salvo