Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:50:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, at 21:31 [=GMT+0200], Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.d...:

> I have following problem using t-dsl + t-online bundled flat-rate
> offering of Deutsche Telekom AG (so I guess mail is of interest
> primarily to German FreeBSD users): Attempts to establish
> PPPoE connection leads to no success. Service-board technicians
> of Telekom state that there are no error neither in technical part
> of account  nor in adminsitrative(i.e.  server on the opposite side
> of connection functions properly , account is not adminstratively
> closed). It is, as already said, not possible to establish connection,
> though. I attach log protocol of connection attempt as I guess it
> might be of help. Please CC eventual answers to my mail account as
> I am not subscribed to the list currently. Your help will be appreciated.
> Additional information will be gladly provided upon request.

I did not see the attachment. Perhaps majordomo did not like it.

This is how a successfull connection (after a failed one) looks in
Holland (probably similar technology):

(from /var/log/messages)

Sep  2 20:08:39 fuchsia pptp[139]:
log[pptp_dispatch_ctrl_packet:pptp_ctrl.c:548]: Client connection
established.
Sep  2 20:08:40 fuchsia pptp[139]:
log[pptp_dispatch_ctrl_packet:pptp_ctrl.c:655]: Outgoing call
established (call ID 0, peer's call ID 0).
Sep  2 20:08:58 fuchsia pptp[139]:
log[callmgr_main:pptp_callmgr.c:240]: Closing connection
Sep  2 20:08:58 fuchsia pptp[139]:
log[pptp_conn_close:pptp_ctrl.c:285]: Closing PPTP connection
Sep  2 20:09:00 fuchsia pptp[139]:
log[call_callback:pptp_callmgr.c:88]: Closing connection
Sep  2 20:09:05 fuchsia pptp[155]:
log[pptp_dispatch_ctrl_packet:pptp_ctrl.c:548]: Client connection
established.
Sep  2 20:09:06 fuchsia pptp[155]:
log[pptp_dispatch_ctrl_packet:pptp_ctrl.c:655]: Outgoing call
established (call ID 0, peer's call ID 0).

Since I experienced regular disconnections, I start the adsl
connection over a wrapper script that checks every 10 seconds if the
connection is still up, and reconnects if not. It reads:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/adsl-wrapper ] ; then
    echo -n " adsl-connection-starting (please God)"
    /usr/local/sbin/adsl-wrapper &
fi

(Put the above in /usr/local/etc/rc.d as adsl.sh and chmod 755 it.)

The wrapper it calls (/usr/local/sbin/adsl-wrapper; also chmod 755
it):

#!/bin/sh
echo $$ > /var/run/adsl-wrapper.pid
while true ; do
        /usr/local/sbin/pptp 10.0.0.138 --phone pc1 mxstream
        sleep 10
done

You have to adjust, naturally, the part "10.0.0.138 --phone pc1
mxstream" to what Deutsche Telekom wants.

This now works fine for me.

If nothing works, check your /var/log/ppp.log. Problem might be with
ppp. My /etc/ppp.conf is thus:

 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set authname my-username
 set authkey my-password
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 0 0
 add default HISADDR
 nat enable yes

If you have just one box and do not need NAT, delete last line.

If you want 'them' to do dns, add

enable dns

If nothing works, perhaps try connecting a windows machine? If the
software they provide does not work in windows, it might be the
connection or the other side anyway...

Viel Spass!

Marc