Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:30:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP SCSI-2 drive and FreeBSD

> Hello,
>
> I'm installing another server running 2.1.5-RELEASE with an adaptec 152x
> scsi controller and a 2gig HP SCSI-2 hard drive. When I go into fdisk to
> setup my BSD partitions, I get a message that says the geometry is
> incorrect. It says it is 2049/64/32 which is correct, but is not able to
> write the partitions to the disk.
>
> Thing is, Linux works fine and so does SCO with the same geometry. I
> tried to create a 20mb DOS partition at the beginning of the drive to see
> if that would re-assure BSD that the geometry is in fact correct, but
> didn't help.

I'm using a 1542B with an hp3725S without problems.
I installed a DOS partition on it and use a fairly recent ASPI4DOS,
which gives (for drives > 1GB) 255 heads. Thus, my geometry looks like
******* Working on device /dev/rsd1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=261 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

> Late last night (who needs sleep? :)) I booted up FreeBSD from  floppy
> yet again and this time, fdisk reported the geometry as 2499/53/32! Well,
> maybe Linux and SCO just don't care I thought and was able to write the

All your systems should agree upon the same geometry.
BTW, once upon a time I tried to install Slackware 3.0, but all
SCSI kernels refused to recognise my Adaptec correctly.
Usually they complained on
"aha1542_in: (3) Unable to determine Adaptec DMA priority. ..."
(I use the factory default DMA 5.)

> partition and setup my file systems. About halfway through the install
> however, I started getting messages that /proc was full. Doh! I've tried
> different SCSI controllers with no luck too.

It think, this is a different story.
I assume that you were going to add a lot of packages.
Unfortunately, KNOWNBUGS.TXT says:
: Problem:  When installing 30 or more packages in one pass during the initial
:           installation, a "too many processes" failure occurs.

> Does anyone know if HP drives have a thing against FreeBSD? All of our
> other servers are running the same OS, so I'd like to keep everything
> standard as possible without throwing a different OS onto our LAN. I'm
> thinking about changing the geometry of the drive at this point from
> rectangular to flat! :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> J Rowley                       Sleep is a sign of                 MSCNet
> SysAdmin / WebMaster          caffeine deprivation          407-668-0670
> All around cool guy           http://www.mscnet.net         j@mscnet.net

Hope this helps,
Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                                                     (
    Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Inst.f.Theor.Physik, NB6/169          )