Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 07:30:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Check the date and time at boot

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > The flaw here is that not everybody is connected to the internet to run a
> > clock-checker program...
>
> And these are the same types of people who are likely to turn there
> machines off for more than a few hours, causing this little utility to
> falsely trigger ever time they boot.

Objection, Rod.  There's that small part of the world outside Big US
with its Great Internet.  European telecommunication used to be WAY
expensive compared to the US world.  My current income wouldn't
suffice if i'd like to connect my machine to the Internet via the
phone at startup.  (My monthly phone bill is already around DM 150
through 200 now, makes for US$ 100 .. 150, to give you a comparision,
and i'm lucky enough to have a small non-commercial ISP that doesn't
cost me very much.)

Of course, the above feature *must* be selectable, so everybody who
isn't used to run his machine all the time won't suffer from it.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/