Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:21:20 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4 Swap partitions limit (was  Re: RE: Little question (offtopic))

At 6:29 PM +0200 8/11/99, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>The only cases in which I've ever actually used swap on a box with
>128 MB RAM or more are:
>
> - make world with a large number of concurrent jobs
> - Netscape going haywire and growing to > 500 MB before dumping core
> - machine-assisted error correction of large OCRed documents (the PGP
>   source code, to be precise)

I've seen swap used on my machine with 192 meg of RAM, and it wasn't
due to an error condition or something going haywire.  It just
depended on what was running on that given machine.

However, my guess is that the freebsd-security list does not need us
all to talk about what machines we've seen in our lives, and how much
swap they've used.  It is probably a good time for this "little
question (offtopic)" to die out or to move to some other mailing list...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute