Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 96 12:08:53 -0500
From:      Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>
To:        "_ge R_bekk" <aagero@aage.aage.priv.no>
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a multicast router/tunnel

Hello,

have you put a "phyint" entry in your mrouted.conf file?

You will need one of these to be able to send mcast traffic to that
interface.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Yves Lepage

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 17:35:39 +0100 (MET)
From: "Age Robekk" <aagero@aage.aage.priv.no>
To: wollman@lcs.mit.edu
CC: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

| > I'm trying to use FreeBSD as a multicast tunnel, but the data it
| > receives does not get sent to the local ethernet. However, programs
| > run locally on the tunnel works fine. Are there any magic routes I
| > have to set up? Except the 224.0.0.0 which is added in sysconfig.
|
| You have to set up /etc/mrouted.conf and run mrouted.  In more recent
| versions, there is an option in /etc/sysconfig to automatically start
| mrouted.
|
| I don't know how well the tunneling code gets exercised; we're on a
| research testbed network which has multicast capability throughout.

Oh well. I have set up the tunnel correctly and the data is running
back and forth and the multicast routing tables are present when I run
netstat -g and everything looks fine. But the data is not sent to the
locally attached network on which the router is hooked up. Therefore
the role as a multicast tunnel reduces to null and void, unless there
are some magic routing entries that will allow the data flow to also
be shared to the other hosts on the very same network as the freebsd
multicast router machine.

-aage