Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 16:36:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Scott Northcutt <snorthcutt@1stresource.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ignorant newbie questions (resent)

On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Scott Northcutt wrote:

> (I think I sent this to the wrong place the first time.  Please forgive if
> you get 2.  I've got the address straight now.  --JSN)
>
> Greets all,
>         After much poring over of the FAQ file and the Handbook on the web
> site, I find that I still have the following questions.  Please pardon their
> ignorance as I am new to this ballgame.
>
> 1) Silly me, I did not install the kernel sources (I guess most of the
> /usr/src/sys area) and now I gotta recompile the kernel.  I couldn't find
> concise info on installing packages and I couldn't figure out what exactly I
> needed to swipe from the FTP site.  How do I get these quite necessary parts
> of the directory tree onto my machine so that I can recompile?

	grab *-RELEASE/src/ssys* into /tmp, and the install.sh file that is
in the same directory.  run 'install.sh', which will install the sources
into /usr/src

> 2) Wanting to work at home and telnet to my FreeBSD box at the office thru
> my ISP dialup, I've dicovered that I "cannot login on terminal ttyp0".  What
> do I need to reconfigure so that pseudo terminals can login as easily as
> physically connected terminals?

	What login id are you trying to connect as?  Since, by default, I
can login to my machine remotely as a regular userid, I'll assume that you
are atttempting to login directly to root?  If so, don't...login as yourself
and su from there

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc