Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:16:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        PPLSInc1 <PPLSInc1@aol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problem

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, PPLSInc1 wrote:

> I'm an experienced linux user, and I've been able to solve most problems I've
> run across while using slackware and redhat, but freebsd has me stumped.  I've
> got an older mitsumi drive, so I'm trying to install freebsd from a dos
> partition.  I used xcopy32 d: c:\freebsd /s   to copy the entire cd to the
> HDD, and then ran the install.bat to boot.

Ouch!  You copied the packages directory too?  You have way too much spare
diskspace! :)

> Then I fiddled with the kernel config until I had no conflicts, even
> though that meant I couldn't use my ps/2 mouse because of console
> commander or whatever that thing is under input (I disabled it and
> enabled my ps2 mouse, and the machine froze and just clicked for 3
> hours!!!).

Leave the conflict, it's correct.

> Then I went through novice installation, discovering too
> late that a freebsd type 165 partition couldn't be very much more than
> 500MB's although I'd prefer a 100% freebsd box,

What?  FreeBSD has no filesystem size limits.

> and had to format, re-install DOS, and make the attempt again, using
> fips to restrict my freebsd parition to 498.4MB.  When I setup my /usr,
> /var, and / partitions, everything was fine, and when I selected my
> installation media as a dos paritition everything was fine...but when I
> tried to install the packages, it couldn't find anything and complained
> about packages/INDEX, which I couldn't find anywhere on the CD.  What's
> up?

Use pkg_add once you get installed; the installer assumes you have the CD.
Plus, putting the files on a DOS partition munges the long filenames.

> BTW, my cd is from UNIX Unleashed, Sysadmin's Edition from Sams Publishing...I
> planned to try freebsd and if I liked it, drop slackware and buy a real
> freebsd cd.

Let me tell you, buying the CD is one of the best things you'll do for
yourself. :)