Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:48:45 -0600
From:      Ben Weaver <bweaver@tranquility.net>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Questions

--xB0nW4MQa6jZONgY

###On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 02:58:36AM +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> Hi all a few questions.
>=20
> #1 I have recompiled my kernel and now get these messages on boot up, and
> would like to get rid of them:
>=20
> Feb 13 02:30:21 serverbsd /kernel: config> di sn0
> Feb 13 02:30:22 serverbsd /kernel: No such device: sn0
> Feb 13 02:30:22 serverbsd /kernel: Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' f=
or

(snip...)

You can get rid of these by editing /boot/kernel.conf and removing the offe=
nding lines.  For the error above, remove the "di sn0" line.

> #2 I currently have a 773mb hdd which is nearly full due to new kernel, i=
f I
> was to add a 4.3 GB to the box, can I shift my /usr over easily (it is a
> netserver also running netatalk). Can I also resize the / partition to fi=
ll
> the hole left by /usr ?

You should first fdisk, label, and newfs the 4.3GB HD.  You may use /stand/=
sysinstall to do this, or the command line utilities.  See http://www.freeb=
sd.org/handbook/disks-adding.html for more information.  Don't make an /etc=
/fstab entry for it yet unless you really want to.

Now, drop down into single-user mode.  (The command "shutdown now" will wor=
k)

Make sure all of the partitions on your 773Mb HD are mounted read/write.  M=
ount the 4.3GB HD on something like /mnt or /new.  Assuming you mount it as=
 /new, issue this command to copy the existing /usr to the /new:

tar cf - -C /usr . | tar xvf - -C /new

Now, edit /etc/fstab so that /usr gets automatically mounted from the new 4=
.3GB drive.  Then umount /new and umount /usr, then mount /usr (Since you m=
odified /etc/fstab already. it knows that "mount /usr" means to mount the 4=
.3GB drive on /usr).  Do a "df" to confirm that the right drive is mounted,=
 then I'd recommend rebooting the computer just to make sure it comes up th=
e way you expect it to.

I'm not sure about resizing the root partition to absorb the old /usr. =20

-Ben

--xB0nW4MQa6jZONgY

--xB0nW4MQa6jZONgY--