Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:31:12 -0200
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>, FreeBSD-PORTS <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, will@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Errors trying to build JX-1.5.3 and CodeCrusader

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 11:41:10PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> I saw your updates to the make files and tried to make JX-1.5.3. I
> cd'ed into x11-toolkits/jx to do the make. I can basically reproduce
> the build errors by doing a make clean and then tell it to do a make.
> In the past, I tried starting with CodeCrusader and doing the make
> there. That was never even close to being successful. I could get a
> working version of jcc by building the pieces manually but the port
> system wasn't working.

	I know, this nice toolkit has an ugly layout for
"portification"-wise speaking. Can I get away by saying that?
Enough jokes.

> The current make has errors at various places and the first one I saw
> was the following:

[elided]

> The next one stopped the make and the error messages are the
> following:

[elided]

> gmake[1]: *** [code/JACETemplates.o] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/jx/work/JX-1.5.3/libjcore'
> gmake: *** [libs] Error 2
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/jx.
> *** Error code 1

	Unfortunaly, I'll give you the worst tech support answer.
I can't reproduce your problem. I've just been able to rebuilt my
jx port cleanly. I am sorry.

---
	I'll repeat to you a drill I've heard a million
times on this list. I call it the can't build it blues.
It goes something like this:

	1) Are you absolutely using the latest cvsup tree?
Cvsup then, cvsup often. The ports tree is also maintained
for the latest available FreeBSD, not old branch releases
as 3. Some ports might work but there is no implied
guarantee.

	2) Can you check the installed version on your system of
the following ports? jx depends on them.

	autoconf-2.13
	bison-1.28
	gmake-3.79.1
	libtool-1.3.4_1
	png-1.0.8_1

	It also needs an installed XFree86 installation. I am
using the latest XFree86-4.0.1_1 version, but it shouldn't
make a difference whether you use either 3 or 4 version.

	3) One thing I noticed was that you were using compiler
optimizations. After you have checked that you are using the latest
version of the aforementioned ports. You could try to rebuild jx
without any /etc/make.conf optimizations. I do build mine with
optimizations but it is not guaranteed that any optimizations
other than -O will be safe.
---

	I know I might be sounding insentitive to your problem but
I need to be sure you have an absolutely clean installation. If
this is indeed a general problem, you can be sure I am the one of
the most interested parties in both proofing it off the port and
helping you out.
	Even if this is a problem particular to your system, I
would be glad to try helping you find it.

	However, in the oftly even that my system is the odd event
meaning: it is building a port that won't build anywhere else.
Could someone on the list build the jx port for a cross check?
	will? sobomax? (I know I am abusing, but could you guys?)
	By the way, is there a specific committer provision (place)
to build ports when in need of additional crosscheck?

--
Mario S. F. Ferreira - UnB - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
lioux at ( freebsd dot org | linf dot unb dot br )