Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:23:05 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs-stable@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sdflkj

On Thu 2001-10-04 (12:03), Ingeborg Hellemo wrote:
> drs-stable@rucus.ru.ac.za said:
> > On Thu 2001-10-04 (08:59), Ceri wrote:
> > > Umm, you can't delegate reverse DNS for a /29 _without_ using CNAMEs.
>
> > Not true.  While the use of CNAMEs is suggested by RFC 2317, NS
> > records can be used too.  The technique is described at:
>
> > http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/avoid-rfc-2317-delega
> > tion.html
>
> Do _not_ use this technique!
>
> Cite from <URL:http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=99948971616624&w=2>;
[snip]

Yes.  Specifically, in one of the examples, J. de Boyne Pollard writes:
  You create a "zone" file for a suitable superdomain that encloses
  all of the relevant reverse lookup domains (the easiest option
  being to just use "in-addr.arpa."):

  $ORIGIN in-addr.arpa.
  @    1D  IN  SOA ns hostmaster.in-addr.arpa. (
         0 3600 120 3600 3600
  )
  @    1D  IN  NS  ns

Which, I would agree with Roy Arends, isn't a good idea.  Though I
still think it's possible to do reverse delegation of individual IPs
using NS records (just as one delegates individual class-Cs using NS
records) and thus avoid RFC 2317's CNAMEs.  I need to play with this
myself one day.

But this is way off-topic now....

--
David Siebörger